The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Saturday, April 8, 2017

Introduction

 Written on 12/02/16:

*****

A Stoic Breviary: Classical Wisdom in Daily Practice was never an intentional goal.  I had no interest in writing a book, but I had an urgent need to fix my life. Almost twenty-five years ago, I crashed. I lost everything I thought was important.

In hindsight, it seems ridiculous that I cared for the things I then valued, but their loss was nevertheless the apparent evil that led me to recognize what was truly good. It led me to see what was right and proper in life. It led me slowly, painfully, but with steady progress, to reform my way of going about things. It led me not merely to the study, but most importantly to the practice of Stoicism.

The book came about from the simple fact that a handful of people seemed to appreciate some passages I shared. I put together 365 of my favorite Stoic passages, from Marcus Aurelius, Seneca. Epictetus, and the rest, and offered some informal comments. The idea was never to make anyone think like I did; the idea was to encourage people to use the passages and reflections to think through the problems for themselves.

*****

This blog intends to continue that mission, in however humble a way. Your comments, insights, and personal reflections are always welcome!






No comments:

Post a Comment