The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Thursday, April 20, 2017

More isn't more. Less isn't more. Better is more.


"Occupy yourself with few things, says the philosopher, if you would be tranquil.

"But consider if it would not be better to say: Do what is necessary, and whatever the reason of the animal which is naturally social required, and as it requires. For this brings not only the tranquility which comes from doing well, but also that which comes from doing few things.

"For the greatest part of what we say and do being unnecessary, if a man takes this away, he will have more leisure and less uneasiness.

"Accordingly on every occasion a man should ask himself, Is this one of the unnecessary things? Now a man should take away not only unnecessary acts, but also, unnecessary thoughts, for thus superfluous acts will not follow after."

---Marcus Aurelius, Meditations 4 (tr Long)

Remember to not necessarily trust someone who calls himself a philosopher. To quote the great band King's X, "some are true, some do lie."

I was often told when younger that silence is golden, or that a child speaks only when spoken to. As reactionary as it may sound, I can respect that point of view, to a certain degree. Many years of both teaching and daily living have told me that we all tend to say more than we need to, oftentimes just for the sake of being heard, to fill the awkwardness of silence, or simply to draw attention to ourselves.  Noise and action can become a symptom of our sense of entitlement.

But it isn't about how much we say in quantity. It's all about the quality. Marcus Aurelius has it spot on, I think. I should worry less about how much or how little I say or do in quantity, and I should worry more about how much or how little I say or do in quality.

I shouldn't simplify my life simply to make it simpler, just as I should not complicate my life to make it more complex. I need only ask myself: what is necessary for me to live well, with the excellence that comes from my own character, and without dependence upon anything beyond itself?

There are indeed time when saying or doing nothing is just what Nature demands. And there are other times when the firm stamping of a foot and an impassioned filibuster aimed squarely at life are also necessary.

Don't assume more words or actions are better, and don't assume fewer words and actions are better.  The words and actions I need are defined by only one measure: have I done what virtue demands of me? I must remember that my value isn't about the quantity of my words, deeds, honors, or possessions. It's the quality of what I do, whatever the circumstances.

Written on 8/24/2005

Image:  Salomon Koninck (1609-1656), Philosopher with an Open Book

No comments:

Post a Comment