The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Frippisms 1


Over the years, I have developed a deep admiration for Robert Fripp. Casual listeners may know him as the force behind King Crimson, and dedicated musicians may know him for the founding of Guitar Craft. 

I admit that his recordings sounded like noise to me at first, and his words once seemed a bit too pretentious for my taste. My estimation slowly changed as I slowly changed. 

I have only seen King Crimson in concert twice, but each time I was amazed by the mastermind sitting on a stool behind the rest of the band, in almost complete darkness. He didn't like a rowdy audience, and he wouldn't tolerate flash photography. He was centered on the music, with absolutely no interest in putting on an act. 



I found myself collecting the short sayings, or "Frippisms",  he would share from his journals, which stuck with me almost as much as passages from Epictetus or Marcus Aurelius. He was talking about the art of music, and yet the insights also applied to all aspects of life. 

I don't know if this is a complete list, or even if there is such a thing, but here are the ones I managed to assemble. As always, your mileage may vary. 























• • • • •  

The quality of a person is primarily revealed by their conduct in front of: 
sex; 
money; 
the expression of negativity; 
the use of time; 
the exercise of authority over others. 





No comments:

Post a Comment