That which is from fortune is not separated from Nature, or without an interweaving and involution with the things which are ordered by Providence.
From thence all things flow; and there is besides necessity, and that which is for the advantage of the whole Universe, of which you are a part. . . .
—from Marcus Aurelius, Meditations 2.3
I remain under the illusion that there must be order, purpose, and design in the big things, while completely neglecting the order, purpose, and design in the little things.
Even the smallest part is significant to the whole, and it is never overlooked. What I still call good or back luck really has nothing to do with luck at all.
Stop expecting it to be impressive for it to be significant. The true, the good, and the beautiful are present at every scale. God is not too busy, I am too lazy.
IMAGE: Giovanni Lanfranco, Providence (c. 1625)

No comments:
Post a Comment