The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Wisdom from the Bhagavad Gita 44


45. Overjoyed am I to have seen what I saw never before; yet my mind is distracted with terror. Show me, O Deva, only that Form of Yours. Have mercy, O Lord of Devas, O Abode of the Universe. 

46. Diademed, bearing a mace and a discus, You I desire to see as before. Assume that same four-armed Form, O You of thousand arms, of Universal Form. 

The Blessed Lord said: 

47. Graciously have I shown to you, O Arjuna, this Form supreme, by My own Yoga power, this resplendent, primeval, infinite, universal Form of Mine, which has not been seen before by anyone else. 

48. Neither by the study of the Veda and Yajna, nor by gifts, nor by rituals, nor by severe austerities, am I in such Form seen, in the world of men, by any other than you, O great hero of the Kurus. 

49. Be not afraid nor bewildered, having beheld this Form of Mine, so terrific. With your fears dispelled and with gladdened heart, now see again this form of Mine. 

Sanjaya said: 

50. So Vâsudeva, having thus spoken to Arjuna, showed again His own Form, and the Great-souled One, assuming His gentle Form, pacified him who was terrified. 

Arjuna said: 

51. Having seen this Your gentle human Form, O Janârdana, my thoughts are now composed and I am restored to my nature. 

The Blessed Lord said: 

52. Very hard indeed it is to see this Form of Mine which you have seen. Even the Devas ever long to behold this Form. 

53. Neither by the Vedas, nor by austerity, nor by gifts, nor by sacrifice can I be seen as you have seen Me. 

54. But by the single-minded devotion I may, in this Form, be known, O Arjuna, and seen in reality, and also entered into, O scorcher of foes. 

55. He who does work for Me alone and has Me for his goal, is devoted to Me, is freed from attachment, and bears enmity towards no creature—he enters into Me, O Pândava. 

Bhagavad Gita, 11:45-55 



No comments:

Post a Comment