The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Friday, May 28, 2021

Seneca, Moral Letters 11.6


Choose therefore a Cato; or, if Cato seems too severe a model, choose some Laelius, a gentler spirit.

 

Choose a master whose life, conversation, and soul-expressing face have satisfied you; picture him always to yourself as your protector or your pattern. 

 

For we must indeed have someone according to whom we may regulate our characters; you can never straighten that which is crooked unless you use a ruler. Farewell. 

 

Heroes can either be people whose character we know personally, or people whose character we know only through reputation. They will both have their distinct places. 

 

I sometimes hear snickering when a fellow says, for example, that his father is his hero, but we should not laugh, as there could be few things more wonderful in this life than being raised in the care of a great soul. 

 

I sometimes see the rolling of eyes when a fellow appeals to the example of a noble figure from the past, but there should be no cynicism, since this is how wisdom and virtue can remain continuous through the ages. 

 

Yes, I know that some people scoff at honoring any sorts of heroes at all, though I suspect this is either because they think they are already perfect, or because they reject the necessity of any moral worth to begin with. 

 

It is also a fine thing that we can all find different sorts of people to inspire us, whose strengths are best suited to our own dispositions and circumstances. 

 

The energy and drive of a Cato might be best suited for someone who is more sanguine or choleric, and the thoughtfulness and diplomacy of a Laelius might be best suited for someone who is more melancholic or phlegmatic. Yes, I do think we can still learn much from the old four humors. 

 

That voice of conscience in my head may well be weak or confused, and so I can find conviction in also hearing the voice of someone I deeply admire. That person doesn’t have to be present for me to listen, and we can share a powerful bond even if we have never met. 

 

My Uncle Alois passed away some years ago, and yet there is not a day where I do not turn to him for advice or encouragement. My memory of him is still so vivid, and his importance to me so immediate, that he might as well be standing right next to me. 

 

I also have an odd set of people who motivate me, like Marcus Aurelius, Franz Jägerstätter, or Flannery O’Connor, who exist for me only as printed images and words. Still, they are like teachers to me, always pointing me in the right direction. When I know I need to put myself on the spot to make a commitment, I ask myself what they would do or say. I have found few practical tools that are more effective.

 

Indeed, there will be no straightening without a ruler, no improvement without a measure. 

Written in 6/2012 

IMAGES: Cato the Younger, Marcus Aurelius, Franz Jägerstätter, Flannery O'Connor








No comments:

Post a Comment