The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Monday, May 17, 2021

Epictetus, Discourses 1.6.8


“Was it his duty then to contrive these occasions for himself and to seek means to bring a lion, a boar, or a hydra into his country?”

 

That were madness and folly; but as they had come into being and were found in the world, these monsters were of service to display Heracles’ powers and to train them.

 

It is for you then, when you realize this, to look to the faculties you possess, and considering them to say, “Zeus, send me what trial You will; for I have endowments and resources, given me by You, to bring myself honor through what befalls.”

 

 No, instead, you sit trembling for fear of what may happen, or lamenting, mourning, and groaning for what does happen, and then you reproach the gods. What else but impiety indeed can attend upon so ignoble a spirit as yours? 

 

Sometimes our troubles come to us completely unbidden, and sometimes they are the result of our own colossal blunders. There is no need to dwell on any blame, however, since every difficulty offers the possibility to practice virtue. 

 

I have a weakness for superhero comics, and I do notice how often the villain, whether he came from outer space, or from deep under the earth, or was molded in some secret lab, would appear as a result of something the heroes themselves had done. 

 

It was Hank Pym (a.k.a Ant-Man/Giant-Man/Goliath/Yellowjacket), for example, who created Ultron, one of the Avengers’ most dangerous and frequent foes. If the Justice League weren’t constantly being so noble, Earth would surely not face a new alien invasion every few issues. 

 

It’s a beloved part of the formula, because it sets up a dramatic struggle where our characters confront impossible odds in order to stand up for what they know is right; they strive to fix what is broken. They may even be asked to make the “ultimate sacrifice” to protect the innocent, but they do so bravely, square-jawed, and full of principle. How many times have the X-Men “died” to save the world? I have lost count. 

 

Of course it’s grossly exaggerated, but it’s a fantastical way to remember what really matters in life. The colorful costumes, the cosmic powers, and the elaborate speeches are just imaginary vehicles for a fundamentally human fact: we are all only as good as the content of our character. 

 

Why did it happen? Beyond the proximate causes, there is the ultimate reason that any event is a means to better ourselves. When Heracles labored, he strengthened his own virtues and defeated his own vices. Providence always asks us to stand up, not to run away and hide. 

 

If I look at my own life, far humbler than any epic story, I find that I lack many useful qualities. I am physically awkward, mentally slow, and socially shy. I have often fretted over this, and I have complained that it hardly seems fair. But when my head is screwed on right, I see that such attributes are quite secondary to what is necessary for happiness. 

 

Do I still have a mastery over my own judgements? Then Providence has granted me the power to follow my conscience. Do I still retain the ability to choose? Then I possess myself, and there is no one who can conquer that part of me. 

 

The heroes I have known in “real life” didn’t need any more than that. They did not feed off resentments or wallow in cynicism, but rather embraced understanding and love, God’s gifts to everyone. 

Written in 10/2000




No comments:

Post a Comment