The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Epictetus, Discourses 1.6.9


And yet God not only gave us these faculties, which will enable us to bear all the issue of events without being humiliated or broken down by it, but, as became a good king and a true father, He gave us this gift free from all let or hindrance or compulsion—no, He put it wholly in our hands, not even leaving Himself any power to let or hinder us. 
 
Yet possessing these powers in freedom for your own, you refuse to use them and will not realize what gifts you have received and from whose hand, but you sit mourning and grieving, some of you blinded to the giver Himself and refusing to recognize your benefactor, and some from meanness of spirit turning to reproaches and complaints against God. 
 
Yet I will show you that you have resources and endowment to fit you for a noble and courageous spirit: show me, if you can, what endowments you have for complaining and reproach.
 
We are all familiar with the intense pleasure that can come from acquiring a bit of riches or winning some fame, even as it doesn’t reach terribly deep, and it is not likely to be a lasting satisfaction. More to the point, it will always be mingled with anxiety, because we know how fickle Fortune can be. What we now think we possess is not quite ours at all, and it can pass away in a moment, at the whim of our circumstances. 
 
Is it any wonder when we are filled with worry, nervously looking over our shoulders, afraid that what we call our “happiness” will be taken away? 
 
In the face of this, Providence has done a wonderful thing, though it may only become apparent when viewed through an attitude akin to Stoicism. Our reason and will permit us to make our own choices, and so to determine the very actions that define who we are. 
 
And not only is this ability our own, but it is exclusively our own, such that no one else can ever make our decisions for us. As much as events may push or pull at us, and as much as we feel pressured by what others may demand, we are the ones who make the call. 
 
Our judgments are invincible, as long as we remain firm in them. There are many things the world can do to us, and many things our opponents can take from us, while the freedom of our thoughts remains sacrosanct. 
 
Though the goods of the body come and go, the goods of the soul do not have to be subject to poverty, isolation, or disease. Suffering, when borne righty, can be transformed into an opportunity for good. Whenever another acts from hatred, we always have the power to love in return. 
 
Death itself will be the end of us, and still we can face it with the dignity of a life well lived. 
 
This only seem ridiculous to me when I attach too much importance to externals over which I have no control. It only seems impossible to me when I neglect to nurture my own character. If I know it is not the be-all and the end-all of my life, I will not mourn its loss. If I know I am the captain of my soul, I will not fear storms or brigands. 
 
The Stoic Turn recognizes that happiness is ours to command, by choosing to be our own masters. Once I am aware that I am given all the tools I need to live well, I can be grateful. Once I accept where my true worth lies, I will not be soured by any resentments. 
 
I only blame God when I have not taken responsibility for myself, when I underestimate the gifts of Providence.. 

Written in 10/2000

IMAGE: Ludovico Carracci, Allegory of Providence (1604)



No comments:

Post a Comment