The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Level 42, "Gresham Blues"


"Where are the lyrics?"

"There are none."

Then how is it music?"

Hmmm. 

One of my old favorites, Level 42, were once known for their funky and fiery instrumentals. As the years passed, they made more of an effort to produce short and sweet pop songs, complete with many words to help us understand what we should think about it. 

They were brilliant at eventually making hits, but I did miss the old jazz-funk vibes. 

So in 1988, they told me that if I bought the CD instead of the LP, I would get a new bonus Level 42 instrumental track. Yes, they would surely be back in form.

As it turned out, the entire album was a reinvention, and the new guitarist, Alan Murphy, added a totally different feel. 

"Gresham Blues" was not the usual slap-and-pop from Mark King's bass, with some rhythmic staccato additions from Mike Lindup's electric piano. This was actually a real jazz tune, both slow and enticing, and it equally had the sounds of melancholy and of hope. 

Oftentimes, notes can say more than words. It was that way for me with this tune.  I'll shut my trap now, and let you find your own meaning in it. 

Level 42, "Gresham Blues" from Staring at the Sun (1988) 




No comments:

Post a Comment