The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Saturday, June 27, 2020

Thomas a Kempis, The Imitation of Christ 3.15


How we must stand and speak, in everything that we desire

1. "My Son, speak thus in every matter, 'Lord, if it pleases You, let this come to pass. Lord, if this shall be for Your honor, let it be done in Your Name. Lord, if You see it good for me, and approve it as useful, then grant me to use it for Your honor. But if You know that it shall be hurtful unto me, and not profitable for the health of my soul, take the desire away from me!' For not every desire is from the Holy Ghost, although it appears to a man as right and good. It is difficult to judge with certainty whether a good or an evil spirit moves you to desire this or that, or whether you are moved by your own spirit. Many have been deceived at the last, who seemed at the beginning to be moved by a good spirit. 

2. "Therefore, whatsoever seems to you desirable, you must always desire and seek after it with the fear of God and humility of heart, and most of all, must altogether resign yourself, and commit all unto Me and say, 'Lord, You know what is best; let this or that be, according as You will. Give what You will, so much as You will, when You will. Do with me as You know best, and as best shall please You, and as shall be most to Your honor. Place me where You wish, and freely work Your will with me in all things. I am in Your hand, and You turn me in my course. Behold, I am Your servant, ready for all things; for I desire to live not to myself but to You. Oh, that I might live worthily and perfectly.'" 

A PRAYER TO BE ENABLED TO DO GOD'S WILL PERFECTLY 

3. Grant me Your grace, most merciful Jesus, that it may be with me, and work in me, and persevere with me, even unto the end. Grant that I may ever desire and wish whatsoever is most pleasing and dear unto You. Let Your will be mine, and let my will always follow Yours, and entirely accord with it. May I choose and reject whatsoever You do; yes, let it be impossible for me to choose or reject except according to Your will.

4. Grant that I may die to all worldly things, and for Your sake love to be despised and unknown in this world. Grant unto me, above all things, that I can desire to rest in You, and that in You my heart may be at peace.You are the true peace of the heart, You alone its rest; apart from You all things are hard and unquiet. In You alone, the supreme and eternal God, I will lay me down in peace and take my rest. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment