The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Thursday, February 6, 2020

Seneca, On Peace of Mind 4.6


Even though others may form the first line, and your lot may have placed you among the veterans of the third, do your duty there with your voice, encouragement, example, and spirit: even though a man's hands be cut off, he may find means to help his side in a battle, if he stands his ground and cheers on his comrades. 

Do something of that sort yourself: if Fortune removes you from the front rank, stand your ground nevertheless and cheer on your comrades, and if somebody stops your mouth, stand nevertheless and help your side in silence. 

The services of a good citizen are never thrown away: he does good by being heard and seen, by his expression, his gestures, his silent determination, and his very walk. 

However limiting the circumstances may seem, however meager the means may appear, there is always something good to be done. Every action, every contribution, every effort is necessary, and will play its own part in the unfolding of Providence. 

Only my pride, my desire for recognition in the eyes of others, can keep me from finding peace in every situation. It does not have to be glorious to be noble. I have, in fact, often found that the noblest efforts are precisely those where there is no lure of any other gain, where a purity of intention can assist with a purity of deed. The greatness is not always where we first look to find it. 

Now a man is hardly a dog, but a dog can still help me to learn many things. I have sometimes felt annoyed when Lucky, a dog who seems to have adopted us, rushes about my feet excitedly whenever I try to get anything done around the house. 

“He’s just the trying to help,” the wife will remind me. 

“How is he helping?” I ask. “He’s getting his nose in the way.”

“Don’t be silly. He’s encouraging you!”

I have to admit that she is completely right. The time passes more quickly, and the task becomes easier, whenever he is around. Yes, in his own way, he most certainly does help. It doesn’t matter that he won’t really follow directions, or doesn’t have any hands to hold tools. 

They tell us that as we get older, our power over the world ought to increase, as a result of all our hard work. I have rather found that mine has quite decreased, though perhaps it is just that I have learned how little control over circumstances I ever had to begin with. 

Instead, I now dedicate myself first and foremost to gaining power over myself, day by day, bit by tiny bit. That is already a full-time job. On most days, the most decent thing I can manage is to give someone a simple courtesy, or perhaps to offer an encouraging word. Yes, sometimes a word will do just fine, over even a gesture, or just being there for the moment. 

Some people may insist that this is hardly enough, that far more must be done. But more of what? Any action, however humble, can be performed with a great degree of love, whether there is more or less at stake in terms of money, or fame, or influence over external conditions. I should not let myself be misled about where the greatness lies. 

Observe any business, or school, even a group of friends, and you will quickly learn who likes to be in front, and who is content to stand back. Some will draw attention to themselves, and others find it all awkward. Some never stop talking, and others just listen. 

You will know right away who the important people are, the ones who make the most noise, but you will not know right away who the most virtuous people are, the ones who do the most good. You will have to get to know them, because the biggest job does not necessarily bring with it the biggest character. 

Written in 7/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment