The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Sunday, February 16, 2020

Musonius Rufus, Lectures 7.4

One might reasonably reflect upon characteristics even of certain animals that are very well calculated to shame us into endurance of hardships.

At all events, cocks and quails, although they have no understanding of virtue as man has and know neither the good nor the just and strive for none of these things, nevertheless fight against each other and even when maimed stand up and endure until death so as not to submit the one to the other. 

I never cease to be amazed at the perseverance and resilience to be found in other living creatures.

I have seen a cat torn and bloodied while fighting off a group of dogs to protect her kittens. I have seen tiny birds dive-bombing the toughest cats to keep their nests safe. I have seen plodding turtles crossing busy traffic to make it back to their ponds. I have seen a mangy old dog refuse to leave the body of his homeless master, who had died of cold on the streets of Boston.

I have seen columns of ants piling up and pushing through to overcome most any physical barrier. I have seen people ripping up, cutting down, burning, or poisoning the plants they call weeds, and then another round of those determined plants slowly but surely growing right back in the same place.  

I understand quite well that animals and plants do not act from abstract judgment as humans do, but this does not make the power of their instincts any less remarkable.

There are some people who try to convince me that the universe is just a mindless mechanism, and that the action of all life is merely a function of pleasure and survival. Yet so many things I see in the world around me, if I only look with open eyes, reveal another sort of design.

Watch an animal acting on its nature, and you will recognize that it will often be moved to suffer pain rather than receive gratification, or face death over clinging to life. It may not have a mind to understand this, but it is still ordered by Mind, as all things in Nature must be.

It is joined to something greater than the immediacy of its own comfort or existence; it acts as a part within a whole, and it fights for more than feeding and fornicating.

Now give a man the freedom of his own judgment, and he will not merely be ruled by his impressions. He may choose to understand his nature and embrace it, or to be ignorant of his nature and reject it.

Still, what can be best in a man who thinks will share something in common with a beast that doesn’t need to think at all: that what it means to be itself is about more than just to be for itself.

It is precisely because I am rational that I can follow my own path, and it is precisely because I have a will that I can pick wisely or poorly. Depending on my choices, my humanity will become either a blessing or a curse to me. An animal does not share in that responsibility; otherwise it would be other than an animal.

Still, when I see an animal endure suffering, or charge headlong toward its own extinction, I can find the deepest inspiration. It may not be a human sort of bravery, but it is a model for human bravery nonetheless. It may not be a conscious sacrifice, but it is an encouragement for conscious sacrifice nonetheless.

What man and beast can share together is that each, in a distinct way, to whatever degree of awareness, expresses a purpose of giving, and not simply of receiving. The animal may have the instinct to save its young, and the man may make the promise to love his neighbor as himself.

The animal will give life and limb to achieve this, and the good man should also give life and limb to achieve this. The hardship is an opportunity, since by the struggle Nature is served. The one is always fulfilled through the many, never in separation from the many. 

So some men commit to wisdom and love; they know what it means to bear hardship to achieve what is good.

Other men settle for feeding and fornicating; they know only how to consume what tickles their fancies.

Written in 8/1999

No comments:

Post a Comment