The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Thomas a Kempis, The Imitation of Christ 3.5

Of the wonderful power of the Divine Love
 
1. I bless You, O Heavenly Father, Father of my Lord Jesus Christ, for that You have vouchsafed to think of me, poor that I am. O, Father of Mercies and God of all comfort, I give thanks unto You, who refreshes me sometimes with Your own comfort, when I am unworthy of any comfort. I bless and glorify You continually, with Your only begotten Son and the Holy Ghost, the Paraclete, forever and ever. O Lord God, Holy lover of my soul, when You shall come into my heart, all my inward parts shall rejoice.You  are my glory and the joy of my heart.You are my hope and my refuge in the day of my trouble.

2. But because I am still weak in love and imperfect in virtue, I need to be strengthened and comforted by You; therefore visit me often and instruct me with Your holy ways of discipline. Deliver me from evil passions, and cleanse my heart from all inordinate affections, that, being healed and altogether cleansed within, I may be made ready to love, strong to suffer, steadfast to endure.

3. Love is a great thing, a good above all others, which alone makes every heavy burden light, and equalizes every inequality. For it bears the burden and makes it no burden, it makes every bitter thing to be sweet and of good taste. The surpassing love of Jesus impels to great works, and excites to the continual desiring of greater perfection. Love wills to be raised up, and not to be held down by any mean thing. Love wills to be free and aloof from all worldly affection, lest its inward power of vision be hindered, lest it be entangled by any worldly prosperity or overcome by adversity. Nothing is sweeter than love, nothing stronger, nothing loftier, nothing broader, nothing pleasanter, nothing fuller or better in heaven or on earth, for love was born of God and cannot rest save in God above all created things.

4. He who loves flies, runs, and is glad; he is free and not hindered. He gives all things for all things, and has all things in all things, because he rests in One who is high above all, from whom every good flows and proceeds. He looks not for gifts, but turns himself to the Giver above all good things. Love oftentimes knows no measure, but breaks out above all measure; love feels no burden, reckons not labors, strives after more than it is able to do, pleads not impossibility, because it judges all things which are lawful for it to be possible. It is strong therefore for all things, and it fulfills many things, and is successful where he who loves does not fail and lies down.

5. Love is watchful, and while sleeping still keeps watch; though fatigued it is not weary, though pressed it is not forced, though alarmed it is not terrified, but like the living flame and the burning torch, it breaks forth on high and securely triumphs. If a man loves, he knows what this voice cries. For the ardent affection of the soul is a great clamor in the ears of God, and it says: "My God, my Beloved! You are all mine, and I am all Yours."

6. Enlarge me in love, that I may learn to taste with the innermost mouth of my heart how sweet it is to love, to be dissolved, and to swim in love. Let me be held by love, mounting above myself through exceeding fervor and admiration. Let me sing the song of love, let me follow You my Beloved on high, let my soul exhaust itself in Your praise, exulting with love. Let me love You more than myself, not loving myself except for Your sake, and all men in You who truly love You, as the law of love commands, which shines forth from You.

7. Love is swift, sincere, pious, pleasant, gentle, strong, patient, faithful, prudent, long-suffering, manly, and never seeking her own; for wheresoever a man seeks his own, there he falls from love. Love is circumspect, humble, and upright; not weak, not fickle, nor intent on vain things; sober, chaste, steadfast, quiet, and guarded in all the senses. Love is subject and obedient to all that are in authority, vile and lowly in its own sight, devout and grateful towards God, faithful and always trusting in Him even when God hides His face, for without sorrow we cannot live in love.

8. He who is not ready to suffer all things, and to conform to the will of the Beloved, is not worthy to be called a lover of God. It behooves him who loves to embrace willingly all hard and bitter things for the Beloved's sake, and not to be drawn away from Him because of any contrary accidents.

No comments:

Post a Comment