The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Friday, June 23, 2023

Thomas a Kempis, The Imitation of Christ 3.59


That all hope and trust is to be fixed in God alone 

1. O Lord, what is my trust which I have in this life, or what is my greatest comfort of all the things which are seen under Heaven? Is it not You, O Lord my God, whose mercies are without number? Where has it been well with me without You? Or when could it be evil while You were near? I had rather be poor for Your sake, than rich without You. I choose rather to be a pilgrim upon the earth with You than without You to possess heaven. Where You are, there is heaven; and where You are not, behold there death and hell. You are all my desire, and therefore must I groan and cry and earnestly pray after You. In short I can confide fully in none to give me ready help in necessities, save in You alone, O my God. You are my hope, You are my trust, You are my Comforter, and most faithful in all things. 

2. All men seek their own; You set forward only my salvation and my profit, and turn all things unto my good. Even though You do expose me to diverse temptations and adversities, You ordain all this unto my advantage, for You are wont to prove Your beloved ones in a thousand ways. In which proving You ought no less to be loved and praised, than if You were filling me full of heavenly consolations. 

3. In You, therefore, O Lord God, I put all my hope and my refuge, on You I lay all my tribulation and anguish; because I find all to be weak and unstable whatsoever I behold out of You. For many friends shall not profit, nor strong helpers be able to succor, nor prudent counsellors to give a useful answer, nor the books of the learned to console, nor any precious substance to deliver, nor any secret and beautiful place to give shelter, if You Yourself do not assist, help, strengthen, comfort, instruct, keep in safety. 

4. For all things which seem to belong to the attainment of peace and felicity are nothing when You are absent, and bring no felicity at all in reality. Therefore are You the end of all good, and the fulness of Life, and the soul of eloquence; and to hope in You above all things is the strongest solace of Your servants. Mine eyes look unto You, in You is my trust, O my God, Father of mercies. 

5. Bless and sanctify my soul with heavenly blessing that it may become Your holy habitation, and the seat of Your eternal glory; and let nothing be found in the Temple of Your divinity which may offend the eyes of Your majesty. According to the greatness of Your goodness and the multitude of Your mercies look upon me, and hear the prayer of Your poor servant, far exiled from You in the land of the shadow of death. Protect and preserve the soul of Your least servant amid so many dangers of corruptible life, and by Your grace accompanying me, direct it by the way of peace unto its home of perpetual light. Amen. 

IMAGE: Guercino, God the Father and Angel (1620) 



No comments:

Post a Comment