The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Monday, June 5, 2023

Howard Jones, Dream into Action 2


"Life in One Day" was the second single from the album in the USA, though it was the third in the UK, following "Look Mama". 

Lyrically and musically, It reminds me of "New Song", both upbeat and uptempo, and I imagine that may have been part of the intent. Howard Jones was always walking a precarious line between following his own muse and playing to the market, which reflects the many struggles we all face about maintaining integrity while working in the world. 

The story has it that Jones and Rupert Hine, back for a second run as producer, played a first mix of the album to the suits at the record label, and they were met with the usual response. Indeed, I think most every musician who gets a recording contract has heard some variation of it: 

"Where are the hits? This album doesn't have enough hits!" 

While the true artist is focused on producing a work of beauty and meaning, management is really in it to make some money, Now these two things don't necessarily have to be in conflict with one another, and I believe Jones is living proof of that, but a man can never really serve two masters. I suspect I would throw up my hands in despair, so I admire Jones for giving it his best. 

Under pressure to provide at least one more track suitable for radio airplay, Jones locked himself in a room for the weekend to write "Life in One Day". He has mentioned many times how there is a certain irony here, a song about taking it easy on yourself produced in a frantic rush to manufacture a marketable product. It isn't easy coming up with a three or four minute tune that's both smart and catchy. 

Why must I always be so busy? Why does everything have to be done now, or even yesterday? Why am I measuring the success of my life by how much noise I make? 

"Life in One Day" is a wonderful relief from the constant demand to do more and more, a little reminder that I don't have to run in the rate race. Let me find the joy in this moment, some peace in appreciating the little things, which actually turn out to be the big things. I will do the most good by fixing myself, not by trying to fix the rest of the world. 

Most attempts at "uplifting" songs from the 1980's fell into saccharine platitudes about "holding hands with the children to reach for the future" or whatnot. At least Jones kept it simple and humble. Less is more. Quality over quantity. All in due time. Slow and steady wins the race. 

—5/2007 

A few words of commentary from Howard Jones: 


And the song itself: 


I swear I remember a music video for this song, though I now cannot find a copy of it anywhere. Perhaps it is caught up in some copyright issues? 

Howard Jones, "Life in One Day" from Dream into Action (1985) 

The old man said to me 
Said don't always take life so seriously 
Play the flute 
And dance and sing your song 

Try and enjoy the here and now 
The future will take care of itself somehow 
The grass is never greener over there 
Time will wear away the stone 
Gets the hereditary bone 

Don't try to live your life in one day 
Don't go speed your time away 
Don't try to live your life in one day 
Don't go speed your time away 

The old man said to me 
Said you can't change the world single-handedly  
Raise a glass enjoy the scenery 
Pretend the water is champagne 
And fill my glass again and again 
While the wolves are gathering round your door 
Time will wear away the stone 
Gets the hereditary bone 

Don't try to live your life in one day 
Don't go speed your time away 
Don't try to live your life in one day 
Don't go speed your time away 


The old man said to me 
Said don't always take life so seriously 
Play the flute 
And dance and sing your song 

Try and enjoy the here and now 
The future will take care of itself somehow 
The grass is never greener over there 
Time will wear away the stone 
Gets the hereditary bone 

I tried to live my life in one day 
Don't go speed your time away 

I bit off more than I can chew 
Only so much you can do 

Wolves are gathering round my door 
Ask them in and invite some more 

I tried to live my life in one day 
Don't go speed your time away 



No comments:

Post a Comment