The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Friday, April 7, 2023

Howard Jones, Human's Lib 10


The music here is again classic Howard Jones, though with a bit more of a brooding minor-key vibe, and the lyrics threw me for a loop once more, as they had with the previous track, "Natural". 

The theme is initially quite bleak and angst-ridden, such that I initially wondered if it might have been better suited to the work of Depeche Mode. Isn't it out of character for Jones, always so joyful and positive, to dwell on the sinister workings of the id

I knew a good number of people who had complained that every other song on Human's Lib was too hippy-dippy, and yet they found the end of the album too depressing. There's just no pleasing some folks! 

Many of those people also, of course, sided with the critics in assuming that Jones was a a shallow thinker, and so they couldn't possibly conceive of a message from him that required some time for reflection. 

As much as I would play along with my friends about "sex and drugs and rock 'n' roll" my heart was never really into debauchery, and I did indeed wonder what I was supposed to make of this tune. 

Well, to begin with, isn't it true that we all have moments where we feel this way? Now it might be time to apply some thinking to those feelings. 

And when I say that I only want to be free, is the permissive life really what I consider to be liberty? Some will immediately get on board, even as others will recognize the vices as a form of slavery. 

Are sex, alcohol, and sloth a replacement for genuine living? 

I suppose I'm overthinking it, but even back in 1984 I had a little epiphany about the message: "Wait, maybe being free has nothing to do with receiving gratification, and maybe whether or not anyone hates me is beside the point?" 

The fact that the album ended here always left me in a state of questioning, That's a good thing. 

—4/2007 

A few words of commentary from Howard Jones: 


And the song itself: 


Howard Jones, "Human's Lib" from Human's Lib (1984) 

Sometimes I'd like to go to bed
With a hundred women or men
And lose my mind in lust and drink
And to hit some people into feeling good, oh

Sometimes I'd like to dance in the street
Don't wanna go to work, just wanna lay in bed all day 

Why don't you then
Why don't you then 

Life just seems oh so meaningless
And who can blame us for wanting these things
But you just try being free my friend
And everyone will hate your guts, I only want to free 



No comments:

Post a Comment