The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Thomas a Kempis, The Imitation of Christ 3.57


That a man must not be too much cast down when he falls into some faults 

1. “My Son, patience and humility in adversities are more pleasing to Me than much comfort and devotion in prosperity. Why does a little thing spoken against you make you sad? If it had been more, you still ought not to be moved. But now suffer it to go by; it is not the first, it is not new, and it will not be the last, if you live long. You are brave enough, so long as no adversity meets you. You give good counsel also, and know how to strengthen others with your words; but when tribulation suddenly knocks at your own door, your counsel and strength fail. Consider your great frailty, which you do so often experience in trifling matters nevertheless, for your soul’s health these things are done when they and such like happen unto you. 

2. “Put them away from your heart as well as you can, and if tribulation has touched you, yet let it not cast you down nor entangle you long. At the least, bear patiently, if you cannot joyfully. And although you be very unwilling to hear it, and feel indignation, yet check yourself, and suffer no unadvised word to come forth from your lips, whereby the little ones may be offended. Soon the storm which has been raised shall be stilled, and inward grief shall be sweetened by returning grace. I yet live, says the Lord, ready to help you, and to give you more than wonted consolation if you put your trust in Me, and call devoutly upon Me. 

3. “Be you more calm of spirit, and gird yourself for greater endurance. All is not frustrated, though you find yourself very often afflicted or grievously tempted. You are man, not God; you are flesh, not an angel. How should you be able to remain alway in the same state of virtue, when an angel in heaven fell, and the first man in paradise? I am He who lifts up the mourners to deliverance, and those who know their own infirmity I raise up to my own nature.” 

4. O Lord, blessed be Your word, sweeter to my mouth than honey and the honeycomb. What should I do in my so great tribulations and anxieties, unless You did comfort me with Your holy words? If only I may attain unto the haven of salvation, what matter is it what things or how many I suffer? Give me a good end, give me a happy passage out of this world. Remember me, O my God, and lead me by the right way unto Your Kingdom. Amen. 

IMAGE: William-Adolphe Bouguereau, The Virgin of Consolation (1875) 



No comments:

Post a Comment