The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Monday, September 26, 2022

Free Your Mind


The bite of the Black Dog was already bad enough, but it became almost unbearable during the early '90's, when Grunge music was the thing. I had no problem with the sloppy, flannel, faux-punk vibe, but I did not take well to the constant dread and angst.

It was as if every young musician had decided to read a smidgeon of Sartre, smoke too much pot, and write a song about why he was so miserable. The fact that they strummed the same three chords didn't help one bit.

I was miserable enough, thank you very much, and by that time I knew enough not to wallow in it.

So I made a point of looking elsewhere. I focused in on Acid Jazz, the exact opposite of Grunge. 

These were actual musicians, not skinny and pimply posers like me. They took pride in playing well. 

They were obviously interested in looking cool, but they had the chops, and they didn't think that cool was about wearing a constant hangover. Good shoes and a tie were a sign of class. Can you dig it? 

Most importantly for me, their lyrics, when they chose to include vocals, were uplifting. I have never heard an Acid Jazz song from the classic era that asked you to feel sorry for yourself. 

James Taylor Quartet, "Free Your Mind" from In the Hand of the Inevitable (1995)  


friend of mine 
cornered in on time 
mix a bit with mine 
you will find 
he could take you higher 
fool upon a wire 

time to time 
need a helping hand 
you're gonna call the man 
in the rain 
you can walk the sunshine 
you can chooose to 

free your mind 
use your time 
there's no care
when you're here 

it's alright to find the real thing
it's alright to find the real thing
now's the time for a real thing
it's alright to find the real thing

find your way 
get yourself together 
living day to day 
you can't hide 
face the situation 
you don't have to 

free your mind 
use your time 
there's no care
when you're here 

it's alright to find the real thing
it's alright to find the real thing

find the real thing . . . 



1 comment:

  1. This one made me laugh out loud. I was in early elementary school in the 90s, but my husband was in high school. I've been introduced to grunge since we've been married.

    "I'm a creep...I'm a weirdoooOOOooo....I wish I was SPECIAL..."

    I kinda enjoy grunge in a "sing at the top of your lungs melodramatically" kind of way. Your description is very apt though.

    I'll have to look up acid jazz.

    ReplyDelete