The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Sunday, November 14, 2021

Stockdale on Stoicism 14


All that, over those three years (between graduate school and being shot down), I had put away for the future. 

Right now, and I'm back on chronology, it's very quiet in a parachute, and I can hear the rifle shots down below and can match them up with bullet rips occurring in the parachute canopy above me. 

Then I can hear the noontime shouting and see the fists waving in the town as my chute hooks a tree but deposits me on a main street in good shape. With two quick-release fastener flips, I'm free of the chute, and immediately gang-tackled by the 10 or 15 town roughnecks I had seen in my peripheral vision, pounding up the street from my right. It felt to me like the quarterback sack of the century. 

I don't want to make a big thing of this, nor indicate that I was surprised at my reception, but by the time the tackling and pummeling and twisting and wrenching were over, and it lasted for three or more minutes before the guy in the pith helmet got there to blow his whistle, I had a very badly broken leg that I felt sure would be with me for life. And that hunch turned out to be right. 

And I'll have to say that I felt only minor relief when I hazily recalled crippled Epictetus's admonition in Enchiridion"Lameness is an impediment to the leg, but not to the will; and say this to yourself with regard to everything that happens. For you will find it to be an impediment to something else, but not truly to yourself."

from James B. Stockdale, The Stoic Warrior's Triad



No comments:

Post a Comment