The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Monday, July 26, 2021

Ellis Walker, Epictetus in Poetical Paraphrase 16


XVI.

You would be wise, I'll teach you if you please,
Withdraw you mind from such wild thoughts as these:
"If I my wonted diligence forget,
My gainful drudgery; how shall I eat?
I certainly shall starve for want of meat.
If I indulge, and not chastise my boy,
My lenity his morals may destroy;
He still will steer the course he hath begun,
And to the very height of lewdness run."

I tell thee, mortal, that 'tis better far,
To dye with thirst and hunger, free from care,
With a serene and an undaunted mind,
Than live in wealth to its dire cares confin'd.
As for the boy, 'tis better far that he 
Become a proverb for debauchery;
'Tis better he were hang'd, than thou should'st share
A moment's grief by thy reforming care:
"But this is more than difficult," you say,
"Too hard a rule for flesh and blood t'obey."

Yet by a former rule 'tis easy made:
Begin by smallest things, as I have said;
Suppose thy wine be stolen, thy oil be shed;
And thus take comfort: "Where's the loss, if I 
At such a rate tranquillity can buy?
If constancy at such a rate be bought?
And there's not anything that's got for nought."

Suppose you call your servant, he's at play;
Or when he's present, mind not what you say;
And is the quiet of thy soul perplex'd
At this? He gets the better if thou'rt vex'd'
He grows your master, while he can torment;
Give not such pow'r to the vile negligent.

No comments:

Post a Comment