The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Monday, March 1, 2021

Sayings of Socrates 51


When Xanthippe first scolded him and then drenched him with water, his rejoinder was, "Did I not say that Xanthippe's thunder would end in rain?" 

When Alcibiades declared that the scolding of Xanthippe was intolerable, "No, I have got used to it," said he, "as to the continued rattle of a windlass. And you do not mind the cackle of geese."

"No," replied Alcibiades, "but they furnish me with eggs and goslings." 

"And Xanthippe," said Socrates, "is the mother of my children." 

When she tore his coat off his back in the marketplace and his acquaintances advised him to hit back, "Yes, by Zeus," said he, "in order that while we are sparring each of you may join in with 'Go it, Socrates!' and 'Well done, Xanthippe!'" 

He said he lived with a shrew, as horsemen are fond of spirited horses, "but just as, when they have mastered these, they can easily cope with the rest, so I in the society of Xanthippe shall learn to adapt myself to the rest of the world."

Diogenes Laërtius, Lives of the Eminent Philosophers 2.36-37



No comments:

Post a Comment