The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Epictetus, Discourses 1.3.3


And so, since everyone, whoever he be, must deal with each person or thing according to the opinion that he holds about them, those few who think that they have been born to be faithful, born to be honorable, born to deal with their impressions without error, have no mean or ignoble thought about themselves. 

 

But the thoughts of most men are just the opposite to this. “What am I? A miserable creature of a man”; and “my wretched rags of flesh”. Wretched indeed, but you have too something better than your “rags of flesh”. Why then do you discard the better and cling to your rags?

 

It is the quality of my thinking that will inform the quality of my living. All too often, I am misled into believing that only a concurrence of certain circumstances will somehow “make things right”, and yet the things are already just right as they are; a proper attitude is the key to finding peace. 

 

Sound judgment reveals where human dignity is to be found, and so what I decide to care about, for better or for worse, becomes the measure of my contentment. How important is it to me? That choice is mine to make. Have I made the right choice? Nature will be sure to let me know, if only I take the time to listen. 

 

I can put my standards to the test. Being completely honest with myself, without any excuses or showmanship, tells me if I am miserable or happy. 

 

When I am always grasping for more, frustrated and restless, that is a clear sign that I am pursuing the wrong ends. When I can gladly embrace and be at rest in any conditions, whatever else my preferences may be, I am on the right track. 

 

This is why there will always be resentment and nastiness in a soul that seeks what is base, and there will always be acceptance and nobility in a soul that raises itself up. 

 

When Epictetus says that a recognition of the Divine removes vice and instills virtue, he is not just spouting some pious platitude. Quite literally, where there are good thoughts, a reverence for Providence and a love for the whole, there will also be good character. 

 

There are times, usually when I am feeling sorry for myself, that I don’t want it to be so simple, but hard experience reminds me that only the strength of my commitment is lacking. Without exception, treating myself like an animal has made me nothing more than an animal, and treating myself as a child of God has raised me up to becoming a man. 

 

I constantly notice how those who brag about money, and influence, and gratification are actually deeply dissatisfied from day to day, precisely because they merely think of themselves as rags of flesh. It is liberating to learn that I can be something so much more. 

 

I can instead choose to practice honesty, decency, or kindness, making such qualities my very purpose, and it will then be no accident when I find myself wanting for nothing else. 

Written in 9/2000



No comments:

Post a Comment