The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Monday, December 14, 2020

Thomas a Kempis, The Imitation of Christ 3.24


Of avoiding of curious inquiry into the life of another

1. "My Son, be not curious, nor trouble yourself with vain cares. What is that to you? Follow Me. For what is it to you whether a man be this or that, or say or do thus or thus? You have no need to answer for others, but you must give an answer for yourself. Why therefore do you entangle yourself? Behold, I know all men, and I behold all things which are done under the sun; and I know how it stands with each one, what he thinks, what he wills, and to what end his thoughts reach. All things therefore are to be committed to Me; watch yourself in godly peace, and leave him who is unquiet to be unquiet as he will. Whatsoever he shall do or say, shall come unto him, for he cannot deceive Me.

2. "Trouble not yourself about the shadow of a great name, nor about the friendship of many, nor about the love of men towards you. For these things beget distraction and great sorrows of heart. My word should speak freely unto you, and I would reveal secrets, if only you did diligently look for My appearing, and did open unto Me the gates of your heart. Be sober and watch unto prayer, and humble yourself in all things."



No comments:

Post a Comment