The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

On Constancy 7

. . . "An example of another kind. 'Assume the governorship of a province.'

"I assume it, and when I have assumed it, I show how an instructed man behaves.

"''Lay aside the laticlave and, clothing yourself in rags, come forward in this character.'

"What then, have I not the power of displaying a good voice? How, then, do you now appear? As a witness summoned by God.

"''Come forward, you, and bear testimony for me, for you are worthy to be brought forward as a witness by me: is anything external to the will good or bad? do I hurt any man? have I made every man's interest dependent on any man except himself?'

"What testimony do you give for God?

"'I am in a wretched condition, Master, and I am unfortunate; no man cares for me, no man gives me anything; all blame me, all speak ill of me.'

Is this the evidence that you are going to give, and disgrace his summons, who has conferred so much honor on you, and thought you worthy of being called to bear such testimony?"

--Epictetus, Discourses 1.29 (tr Long)

Consider all the desirable, high profile professions of our world, in politics, business, law, medicine, academics, or entertainment. Now remove all the trappings that go with them. What is left?

It need not simply be the the big things, like the obscene salaries, the media exposure, or all the finery and luxury. The small benefits count very much as well, the little daily posturing and posing we all seem to crave.

Remove all these things, scrape away the externals, and what sort of inner character reveals itself? Such an exercise can be deeply uncomfortable for any of us. What am I serving, and to what am I bearing witness? Do I pursue my own virtue, or do I depend upon my surroundings to prop me up? Do I treat my fellows with love and justice or with contempt and abuse? Do I see others as ends in themselves, or merely as means to my own end?

I often notice how often we complain about our circumstances instead of simply doing right, and then I catch myself in the bitter irony of it all, the fact that I am complaining about complaining. That's just another form of passing the buck, so I try my hardest to worry only about myself, about that which is within my power.

I hardly think that a man serves God by the color of his robes or his place at the table. Whether or not he knows it, he serves God simply by living according to the nature with which he was made. 

Written in 4/1999

Image: Cesare Dandini, Personification of Constancy, c. 1634




No comments:

Post a Comment