The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Work with what opposes you.


"That which rules within, when it is according to nature, is so affected with respect to the events which happen, that it always easily adapts itself to that which is and is presented to it. For it requires no definite material, but it moves towards its purpose, under certain conditions however; and it makes a material for itself out of that which opposes it, as fire lays hold of what falls into it, by which a small light would have been extinguished: but when the fire is strong, it soon appropriates to itself the matter which is heaped on it, and consumes it, and rises higher by means of this very material."

--Marcus Aurelius, Meditations 4 (tr Long)

 My son was once proudly explaining to me how in his martial arts class he was learning how to channel the force of his opponents attack to his advantage. "It's taking the momentum that is moving against you and using it yourself!" he said excitedly. An old philosopher couldn't resist asking him if the art of life in general could also be viewed this way. This made him even more excited, and he came up with example after example from his own day.

I remember figuring out something very similar when I was fencing in school.  The instinct of every confident young man is to thrash away at one's opponent, blindly hacking and clanging away. I never became an accomplished fencer, but the times when I won matches were the times when I learned to use my opponent's poorly planned or timed moves against him. I once, almost comically, had to do little more than move slightly aside while the other fencer simply skewered himself.

 We are all prone to seeing anything and everything in terms of opposition and conflict.  This is true not only in the prevalence of war, but is found in politics, business, law, even the world of education. We are used to working against things, and therefore see the world full of things that are obstacles we must confront with greater force. Might it be possible, however, to think in terms of working with things, to transform what seems opposed into something for our use?

The Stoic, I think, does precisely that. It involves, first and foremost, a radical change in judgment. The world will present me with a variety of situations, seeming either pleasant and unpleasant, convenient or inconvenient. Instead of rushing toward or against such appearances, I can treat these things as indifferent. Then I can find in each and every circumstance something that will be helpful in becoming wiser and more loving.

There is no need for me to fight and complain if only I work with every opportunity to my benefit. If I am given either wealth or poverty, health or sickness, fame or solitude, I can use these to live with virtue, for all states of fortune provide the means to think and act well.

Written on 6/6/2013

Image: Georg Mühlberg, Sabre Duel of German Students (c. 1900)




No comments:

Post a Comment