The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Seneca, Moral Letters 53.3


Let us, therefore, rouse ourselves, that we may be able to correct our mistakes. Philosophy, however, is the only power that can stir us, the only power that can shake off our deep slumber. Devote yourself wholly to philosophy. You are worthy of her; she is worthy of you; greet one another with a loving embrace. Say farewell to all other interests with courage and frankness. Do not study philosophy merely during your spare time. 

If you were ill, you would stop caring for your personal concerns, and forget your business duties; you would not think highly enough of any client to take active charge of his case during a slight abatement of your sufferings. You would try your hardest to be rid of the illness as soon as possible. 

What, then? Shall you not do the same thing now? Throw aside all hindrances and give up your time to getting a sound mind; for no man can attain it if he is engrossed in other matters. 

Philosophy wields her own authority; she appoints her own time and does not allow it to be appointed for her. She is not a thing to be followed at odd times, but a subject for daily practice; she is mistress, and she commands our attendance.

Alexander, when a certain state promised him a part of its territory and half its entire property, replied: "I invaded Asia with the intention, not of accepting what you might give, but of allowing you to keep what I might leave." 

Philosophy likewise keeps saying to all occupations: "I do not intend to accept the time which you have left over, but I shall allow you to keep what I myself shall leave." 

—from Seneca, Moral Letters 53 

Now how can I go about recognizing my faults? What is the best way to keep my soul awake and alert? 
 
The media “culture” that surrounds me insists that I will feel best when I conform myself to the entire range of its products, yet would that not be an act of blind surrender, in place of a conscious discernment?
 
The politicians tell me to support their campaigns, and I am glad they at least advise me to be active, yet how am I to judge the righteousness of their many and changing causes? 
 
The economists say I should be clever about acquiring ever more money, yet should I buy and sell my neighbors to get it, or spend my winnings on anything that happens to tickle my fancy? 
 
The psychologists urge me to “follow the science”, yet behind the complex patterns to the behaviors, where is the distinction of the good from the evil in the underlying choices? 
 
The preachers demand that I just have faith, yet what sort of monster might I become if I commit my trust without first seeking the guidance of understanding? 
 
Whatever the discipline, regarding any possible aspects of life, I will need to develop the power of judging the true from the false, the right from the wrong, the beautiful from the ugly. For any art or science to function rightly, it must have a firm foundation in first principles. Whatever we endeavor to do, we rely upon philosophy to provide such an ultimate measure. 
 
No, I once again don’t mean philosophy as just another profession, but rather philosophy as a reasoned and ordered worldview, upon which the meaning and value of all our efforts depend. There can be no survey of “truths” where there is no yardstick for “Truth”. 
 
Politics, economics, psychology, or religion must operate within the purpose of the whole, and they require the direction of a moral compass. The relative, by its very definition, exists only within the context of what is absolute. Simply by thinking and by choosing, we are already philosophical creatures, and the only question is if we will judge well or judge poorly. 
 
The lesser is in the service of the greater, and so the wise man is happy to put aside the diversions to go straight to the source. Just as I ought to care for my health over going to the office, I am well-advised to work on the content of my character before I buy a new car. I’m a fool to get my wires crossed. 
 
And since philosophy is about what is universal and necessary, it does not admit of conditions, compromises, or equivocations. I can’t attempt to distract from philosophy by pointing to what is outside of the picture, because philosophy encompasses the entire picture. Philosophy will not wait upon me—I shall wait upon philosophy. 

—Reflection written in 4/2013 

IMAGE: Albrecht Dürer, Philosophia (1502) 



No comments:

Post a Comment