The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Seneca, Moral Letters 32.2


Hasten ahead, then, dearest Lucilius, and reflect how greatly you would quicken your speed if an enemy were at your back, or if you suspected the cavalry were approaching and pressing hard upon your steps as you fled. 

 

It is true; the enemy is indeed pressing upon you. You should therefore increase your speed and escape away and reach a safe position, remembering continually what a noble thing it is to round out your life before death comes, and then await in peace the remaining portion of your time, claiming nothing for yourself, since you are in possession of the happy life; for such a life is not made happier for being longer.

 

O when shall you see the time when you shall know that time means nothing to you, when you shall be peaceful and calm, careless of the morrow, because you are enjoying your life to the full? 


—from Seneca, Moral Letters 32 

 

I must not deceive myself into thinking that once I make an initial commitment to the Stoic Turn, all the benefits of serenity will come to me instantaneously and without effort. No, there will a mighty struggle on my part, not because the world needs to be conquered, but because I still need to conquer myself. While I possess all the tools, I am not yet trained in using them. 

 

I regularly come across people who have latched onto an ideal of immediate enlightenment, giving them the excuse to continue as they always were, while relying on some other mysterious force to resolve all their problems. Let me never run away from doing my own work. 

 

There will be doubt and fear, and it is within my power to redirect those inclinations toward a sense of rigor and urgency. Many images of danger or pressing need can help me through this, and it usually enough for me to simply remember that today could well be my last day. There is only so much time given, so I must make the most of what little I have. 

 

Sometimes I am so stubborn, however, that I require more of a push. In this day and age a cavalry charge is hard to come by, though as a child I did once see a mounted policeman chasing down a purse snatcher in the park, and that impressive memory perhaps comes close to the pressure Seneca describes. Yes, I should get a move on, because once I let down my guard there are all sorts of influences that can overtake me. 

 

I do not know if Seneca is discussing the lofty goal of becoming a true Stoic sage, or if he merely refers to an increasing feeling of peace that comes along the path, but I have tasted little bits of it, and I do know I have never been happier than when I am content to just be myself in good conscience, with no concerns about slaying foes or winning prizes. 

 

The urgency does not demand a state of panic, and yet if it can be done today, it should be done today. Then any of the circumstances that may befall me tomorrow will no longer weigh so heavily upon my mind. If I am living in harmony with Nature right here and now, I am satisfied to have done my duty. 

—Reflection written in 12/2012 

IMAGE: Elizabeth Thompson, Scotland Forever! The Charge of the Royal Scots Greys at Waterloo (1881) 



No comments:

Post a Comment