The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Sunday, December 12, 2021

Thomas a Kempis, The Imitation of Christ 3.39


That man must not be immersed in business

1. "My Son, always commit your cause to Me; I will dispose it aright in due time. Wait for My arrangement of it, and then you shall find it for your profit."

2. O Lord, right freely I commit all things to You; for my planning can profit but little. Oh that I did not dwell so much on future events, but could offer myself altogether to Your pleasures without delay.

3. "My Son, a man often strives vehemently after somewhat which he desires; but when he has obtained it he begins to be of another mind, because his affections towards it are not lasting, but rather rush on from one thing to another. Therefore it is not really a small thing, when in small things we resist self."

4. The true progress of man lies in self-denial, and a man who denies himself is free and safe. But the old enemy, opposer of all good things, ceases not from temptation; but day and night sets his wicked snares, if haply he may be able to entrap the unwary. Watch and pray, says the Lord, lest you enter into temptation. 



No comments:

Post a Comment