The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Friday, January 22, 2021

Musonius Rufus, Fragments 33


Toward subjects one should strive to be regarded with awe rather than with fear. Reverence attends the one, bitterness the other.

 

The Machiavellian claim that, given the choice, it is better to be feared than to be loved is largely accepted as a given rule of life. Of course, people might prefer that it be otherwise, but that’s just the way it is, right? What can we possibly do to change how the world works? 

 

I find it odd that some people accuse the Stoics of being defeatists, and yet then they turn around and let the world roll right over them, surrendering to the fashions of the time. 

 

I suppose half of a lesson has been learned: Others will not change their ways simply because I want them to. 

 

What is lost is the other side, the bit that the Stoics so eagerly embrace: Even in the face of such weight, is it not possible to still change myself? Why must I do it the same way that everybody else does it? 

 

To go my own way, regardless of how other people go, will only be possible if I measure myself by the standard of Nature, not by the standard of popularity. It will only be possible if I cling to what is right, instead of what is convenient. If my own thoughts and actions are sufficient, the rest can then be taken in stride. 

 

Most every place I have ever lived, or gone to school, or worked, or tried to make my way has been ruled by sanctions, by the threat of punishments, and so it has been ruled by fear. 

 

Yet whenever even the smallest bit of responsibility or authority comes to me, I can always choose to do it differently. I can rule myself by love, and also offer it to others. Who knows, it might even catch on. 

 

Reverence is better than fear. Love is better than hate. This isn’t just because it is more pleasant, but because it genuinely completes our natures to act with compassionate justice instead of brute force. 

 

It is always wiser to compromise the goods of the body than the goods of the soul. The Golden Rule is precious for a good reason.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment