The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Thursday, October 10, 2024

Seneca, Moral Letters 71.1


Letter 71: On the Supreme Good
 
You are continually referring special questions to me, forgetting that a vast stretch of sea sunders us. Since, however, the value of advice depends mostly on the time when it is given, it must necessarily result that by the time my opinion on certain matters reaches you, the opposite opinion is the better. 
 
For advice conforms to circumstances; and our circumstances are carried along, or rather whirled along. Accordingly, advice should be produced at short notice; and even this is too late; it should "grow while we work," as the saying is. And I propose to show you how you may discover the method. 
 
As often as you wish to know what is to be avoided or what is to be sought, consider its relation to the Supreme Good, to the purpose of your whole life. For whatever we do ought to be in harmony with this; no man can set in order the details unless he has already set before himself the chief purpose of his life. 
 
The artist may have his colors all prepared, but he cannot produce a likeness unless he has already made up his mind what he wishes to paint. The reason we make mistakes is because we all consider the parts of life, but never life as a whole. 
 
The archer must know what he is seeking to hit; then he must aim and control the weapon by his skill. Our plans miscarry because they have no aim. When a man does not know what harbor he is making for, no wind is the right wind. Chance must necessarily have great influence over our lives, because we live by chance. 
 
It is the case with certain men, however, that they do not know that they know certain things. Just as we often go searching for those who stand beside us, so we are apt to forget that the goal of the Supreme Good lies near us. 

—from Seneca, Moral Letters 71 
 
Advice is such an odd thing, for we are always seeking it, yet we are never quite content with what we end up receiving. I suppose that’s actually true for so many aspects of life, and it’s really because we aren’t sure what we’re looking for to begin with. 
 
I have often complained about how some good counsel came too late, totally oblivious to the fact that I remain far too caught up in the whirlwind of the circumstances. Would I even have listened if you had told me back then? All I know now is that I am still discontent, clueless about something universal to provide guidance through the many particulars. 
 
Every so often, usually as a last resort, a student will come to me seeking a suggestion about a specific problem. Now sometimes he will listen, and sometimes he will resist me, but I must be very patient if he returns again a month later, presenting a whole new conundrum that calls for precisely the same principles. I have walked in his shoes many times, so he is always welcome, as long as it takes. 
 
While working through the means is certainly a challenge, I face the greatest obstacle when I am ignorant of the end; I desire the best results in this case, though I have failed to consider what is best for me in every case. As I grow older, and hopefully a bit wiser, I find that the details will take care of themselves once I embrace the ultimate goal, and I won’t sweat the small stuff when my mind is focused on the big picture. 
 
The balance in my bank account is of far less importance than the state of my character, and the quantity of my friends is insignificant compared to the quality in a single act of love. 
 
When I ask for directions, I must first have a destination in mind. I speak of a job being good, or my health being good, or my reputation being good, and the whole time I cannot explain my Supreme Good, that to which all lower conditions must conform, that to which nothing else can be added. A seeming conflict between two worldly situations is immediately resolved once I perceive my broader moral purpose. 
 
If I say that the Supreme Good is too vague, or is so very far away, I am looking in the wrong places. It is rather the clearest thing to me, and the closest thing to me, because it is already an integral part of who I am. It’s like those hokey but wonderful movies from the 1980’s, when the hero discovers how the love of his life had been his best friend all along. 

—Reflection written in 9/2013 

IMAGE: Dominic Serres, Foudroyant and Pegase Entering Portsmouth Harbor (1782) 



No comments:

Post a Comment