The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Friday, June 28, 2024

Seneca, Moral Letters 70.11


What, then? If such a spirit is possessed by abandoned and dangerous men, shall it not be possessed also by those who have trained themselves to meet such contingencies by long meditation, and by reason, the mistress of all things? 
 
It is reason which teaches us that fate has various ways of approach, but the same end, and that it makes no difference at what point the inevitable event begins.
 
Reason, too, advises us to die, if we may, according to our taste; if this cannot be, she advises us to die according to our ability, and to seize upon whatever means shall offer itself for doing violence to ourselves. 
 
It is criminal to "live by robbery"; but, on the other hand, it is most noble to "die by robbery." Farewell. 

—from Seneca, Moral Letters 70 
 
The ideal of “death before dishonor”, with a stress on the freedom to choose the manner of our own departure, will at the very least seem odd to modern mindsets, and to some it will appear downright perverse. 
 
I once again suggest that this is because many of us view survival as being a good in itself, and therefore we go to great lengths, sometimes to ridiculous extremes, simply to continue existing for just a little while longer. 
 
On the other side, some people are keen to decide on which lives are worth living, and which are only fit for disposal. They may say they are concerned with the “quality” of a life, though they are still defining any human value by convenience and gratification.
 
Yet if I recognize virtue as the highest good, I will then learn to measure any circumstance by means of moral character. It no longer seems so important whether I am rich or poor, healthy or sick, praised or defamed. Yes, I will also no longer worry so much about life and death, and I will be happy to embrace either, as long as it aids me in acting with understanding and love. 
 
I think again of another old Roman statue, The Dying Gaul. To me, it is a perfect representation of what it means to die with dignity. 
 
I do not expect to face an enemy in battle, or to be tortured on the rack, or to be forced into slavery, but I should not be so hasty. While few people foresee such hardships, Fortune is remarkably fickle. Be prepared in the pleasant times, and then you will find courage in the disagreeable times. 
 
I steadfastly refuse to become a man who is reduced to thriving by committing any misdeed, so I will depart the scene before it comes to that. I am here to master myself, not lord over others. Only then will the end be a relief instead of a burden. 

—Reflection written in 8/2013 

IMAGE: Roman, The Dying Gaul (2nd century AD) 



No comments:

Post a Comment