The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Sunday, March 19, 2023

Epictetus, Discourses 1.29.7


I imagine one of those who are sitting here crying out in the travail of his heart, “Why does not a crisis come to me such as has come to him? Am I to wear my life out idly in a corner, when I might win a crown at Olympia? When will someone bring me news of a contest like that?” 
 
Such ought to be the attitude of you all. 
 
Why, among Caesar's gladiators there are some who are vexed that no one brings them out or matches them in a fight, and they pray to God and go to the managers and implore them to let them fight; and shall no one of you display a like spirit? That is exactly why I should like to take ship for Rome to see how my wrestler puts his lesson into practice. 
 
“I do not want”, says he, “an exercise of this sort.”
 
What? Is it in your power to take the task you choose? No, a body is given you of such a kind, parents of such a kind, brothers of such a kind, a country of such a kind, a position in it of such a kind: and yet you come to me and say, “Change the task set me.” 
 
What! have you not resources, to deal with what is given you? Instead of saying, “It is yours to set the task, and mine to study it well”, you say, “Do not put before me such a syllogism, but such a one: do not impose on me such a conclusion, but such a one." 

—from Epictetus, Discourses 1.29 
 
As I am learning to be eager for a challenge to my character, let me be careful not to make demands of the world instead of making demands of myself. The temptation is to pick and choose the circumstances presented to me, when my only job is to increase the constancy within me. 
 
I sometimes wonder if I am too spoiled, or if it is a symptom of my entire generation, though I suspect that human nature has always been vulnerable to expecting the most convenient or gratifying opportunity. 
 
The old advertising jingle “Have it your way!“ should just be about a preference in hamburgers, not about backsliding on the conditions of our principles. 
 
It's something like the child praying to God, promising to be so very good, if only he receives this or that toy for his birthday. Once I impose petty restrictions, like the small print on the back of a coupon, I am far from intending to become good at all. 
 
So I am working to confront the most fearsome obstacles, and I am even trying to hope for them, knowing full well how they are a means for my improvement. At the same time, I am resisting the urge to go about cherry-picking the particulars, as that defeats the purpose of an absolute duty. 
 
Happiness isn’t in what happens to me, and virtue isn’t in bargaining with Providence. God deals the cards, and I play my hand as best I can. 
 
Let it come as it will, and I will do as I must. I’d like to imagine that is something a Rudyard Kipling or a Teddy Roosevelt might say, and it makes for a quick motto when I catch myself slipping. 

—Reflection written in 5/2001 






No comments:

Post a Comment