The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Saturday, January 28, 2023

Howard Jones, Human's Lib 8


The music alone for this song, well before I even considered the lyrics, set me up for a lifelong love affair with new wave and synth-pop. I realize it's only a matter of personal preference, but my soul lights up whenever I come across someone who is humming along to Depeche Mode, Alphaville, The Human League, or Heaven 17. 





The words to this song were then far more important in making me the strange fellow I now am, and I do believe they go far beyond the realm of preference into the world of principle. 

The odd part of it is that Howard Jones wasn't telling me something I didn't already know. Just as when Depeche Mode reminded us how "People Are People", I assumed such ideas were commonplace. Of course our shared human nature comes first, regardless of sex, race, class, or creed. Doesn't it? I was raised in a fairly "traditional" family, and a respect for the essence trumped any of the accidents. 

I was surprised. therefore, when the more "progressive" people I eventually met would have none of it. Once I was in high school, I was lectured about how the whites couldn't help but hate the blacks, and so the blacks must therefore hate the whites. The rich were always oppressors, and the poor were always victims.  Men were born to be rapists, and women had to meet such violence with yet more violence. Religion was a form of oppression, never a means to love or enlightenment. 

After so many years of making my way through the minefield of tribalism, sadly the only "-ism" that really sells, I've had enough, and I will no longer dwell on the petty conflicts. I refuse to be labeled by my circumstances, and the only thing I care about in you is the beauty of your soul. 

Howard Jones has been my friend through all of it, though he hardly knows it, and I thank him from the bottom of my heart for giving me a tune I can play in my head whenever someone wants to separate me from the love of my neighbor, whoever that happens to be. His constant encouragement made a huge difference. 

We are all made for one another, and the rest, pardon my French, is a load of childish bullshit. Let resentment give way to understanding—it is within our power. 

This song became my anthem to begin with myself; I would be so happy if you joined me! 

—4/2007 

A few words of commentary from Howard Jones: 


And the song itself: 


Howard Jones, "Equality" from Human's Lib (1984) 

Everybody wants to feel happy, even if you think that you don't
Everyone wants to know the secret, even if you think that you don't
Everybody thinks they're different from the next man now
But we just got to realize we're just the same

Always appear to be someone better
You know there will always appear to be someone worse
You know there'll always appear to be someone better
You know there'll always appear to be someone worse, oh

Everyone has got their character
Everyone has got their personality
But the longing is still the same
So what is the answer, by easy on yourself
Make yourself feel at ease, maybe that's the answer

Always appear to be someone better
You know there will always appear to be someone worse
Always appear to be someone better
You know there'll always appear to be someone worse, oh

We're just the same don't you know
We're just the same don't you know
Looking over there
He looks different, she looks different
They might even be different
But we're just the same, don't you know
We're just the same, don't you know
We're just the same 



No comments:

Post a Comment